Reading Options

The variety of materials that are based off of these ancient epics and myths surprised me. I’m especially interested in watching some of the video options because I love movies and television from around the world. I don’t think I’ve seen any Indian films that aren’t Bollywood musicals, so I’m looking forward to experiencing different forms of Indian visual storytelling. Along the same lines, I’m also looking forward to perusing the Amar Chitra Katha comics more. A couple caught my eye when I looked through the blog specifically How Friends are Parted: Tales from the Hitopadesha because I like cute stories featuring animals (and really who doesn’t right?) and the picture on the cover is of cute animals. I also think I’d enjoy Stories of Creation from the Brahma Purana because creation myths have always fascinated me.

Image: Brahma the Hindu creator god

As for the more traditional reading options I thought the options that examined the epics we’ll be reading from a different point of view sounded the most interesting. One such option would be Dear Sakhi: The Lost Journals of the Ladies of Hastinapur which is a collection of hypothetical journal entries from the ladies in waiting for the noble women from the Mahabharata. Another option would be Mriga Khaga: Untold stories of animals and birds in Ramayana which focuses on the animals from the Ramayana. One other option that I thought could be interesting is Leader: 50 Insights from Mythology a collection of essays that relay lessons about leadership taken from mythology. I’m really excited to start digging into the readings this semester!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hi I'm Ryan and this is my Introduction

Week 10 Story: The Hickory Lane Terror