Feedback Thoughts


Most of my experience receiving criticism comes from my time as a ballet dancer. In ballet, dancers generally crave constructive criticism from their teachers, choreographers, ballet masters, and peers because it is very difficult even with mirrors or video recordings to know what you look like while you're dancing. Since constant criticism is so imperative to a dancer's development they are taught from a very young age to appreciate the feedback, and as a dancer you learn very quickly that criticism is much more valuable than praise. As William Treseder says in "Using Harsh Feedback to Fuel Your Career," criticism is an investment in your continued improvement. No one is going to take the time to give constructive criticism to someone they don't think can improve, so as a dancer when someone would take the time to give me a personalized correction part of me took it as a vote of confidence from them (the other parts of me got upset that I wasn't perfect). It was always tough balancing the pain of being told something I worked so hard on wasn't good enough with the neccessity of hearing it so that I could continue to improve. That pain was especially sharp because as Megan Bruneau said in "5 Tips For Taking Feedback Like a Champ" dancers like perfectionists "tend to attach [their] self-worth to performance." Criticism is never easy to hear, but my experience in ballet has taught me that it is definitely true that constructive criticism is a vital part of growth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hi I'm Ryan and this is my Introduction

Week 10 Story: The Hickory Lane Terror